Monday, August 29, 2016

Kate Kearney's Cottage

Tom hosts Tuesday's Treasures.

Killarney Ireland


I first visited Kate kearney's Cottage in 1970 with my parents. It was summer and the last place I wanted to be was on vacation with my parents!! How I'd change that now!!

1970


My sister, Mom and me.





September 2015 - a very fast forward and 45 years later I'm back with John and friends K and B.







Kate was a well known beauty in Ireland in the years before the Great Famine (1845-1849). The legend of Kate has captured the imagination pf people far and wide down through the years.
It was at this síbín that Kate distilled her famous poitín, 'Kate Kearney's Mountain Dew', which was "very fierce and wild, requiring not less than seven times its own quantity of water to tame and subdue it." It was of course illicit. However, Kate flouted the law and invited the weary traveller to partake of her hospitality.



Pictured below are Julia Burke and her husband Donal Mór Moriarty who lived in Kate Kearney's Cottage in the middle of the 19th Century. She and her husband are the first to be documented after Kate herself. They are Jim Coffey's (the current owner) Great Great Grandparents.


Source

7 comments:

  1. I'm launching into song for you Jackie "if I could bring back time…" What is really impressive is that you could find the photo from 1970!! Great to see Killarney over the two trips!
    Have a fun week.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder where in Ireland my Father's family once lived. It's always interesting to see things from the past with older and wiser eyes. Thanks Jackie for sharing this week, I invite to share your treasures again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful place for a vacation especially with family members. Beautiful view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like to think back at how I was as a teenager either! What a lovely place. Looks like you have a lot of memories there. :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.